Sunday, July 29, 2007

Musician Ben Harper converting his 1964 Buick Riviera to an EV

Filed under: ,

Ben Harper: musician, car collector, carpooler.

In a Forbes Auto article earlier this month, the sweet-voiced Harper spoke to Shira Levine about the way high fuel prices have put him on his bike more often and into friends' cars to share rides.

Harper has got enough money to have a small fleet of cars (a 1964 Buick Riviera, a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and a 2006 Lexus RX 400h) and he's considering converting the Buick to pure electricity. He said, "I am a GM man. I am a Chevy guy. I have a '64 Buick Riviera that I am having converted into an electric car. I am not driving it until it is converted. Well, I take it around the block to keep it broken in. But, it's a mission right now that is out of control."

Harper recently test drove a 2008 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG and looooved it, but it wastes too much fuel. "That isn't the car for me now," he said. "I am into being environmentally aware and focused. I want to be responsible."

[Source: ForbesAutos.com /Shira Levine via Ecorazzi]

 

Read | Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments


BOLD MOVES: THE FUTURE OF FORD Step behind the curtain at Ford Motor. Experience the documentary first-hand.

No comments: